Sunday, November 13, 2011

Follow the rules

As parents we've always told our kid that rules are meant to be followed. Our precious little princess has taken those lessons to heart, sometimes a little too much to heart. In her world she cannot comprehend why someone would CHOOSE to break a rule. And her understanding of rules is REALLY black and white.

This past week she forgot to bring her reading book home for a homework assignment. Bringing textbooks home is not something that happens often so it was easy for me to understand how she forgot. Unfortunately for her, Little Man was taking a late nap so I couldn't run back up to the school and pick it up.

The next morning on the way to school I asked the princess if her teacher had told the kids they would need their books. And of course the teacher had. So I told her that the next time her reading teacher told the class they needed to remember books she should take out her highlighter and put a small dot on her hand. (She takes reading in a different classroom than her backpack). She said she would, but then she asked me what she was supposed to do if her teacher saw her do it. Thankfully it's hard to look at your child like they are crazy while your driving them down the road, because I just might have!

I told her I was pretty sure her reading teacher would have no problem with it. "But, Mommy, we aren't supposed to write on ourselves." Oh my! She then proceeded to ask me to e-mail her teacher and see if that would be okay. I did, which I'm pretty sure left one reading teacher rolling on the floor, and she of course took time to affirm to my daughter that I wasn't crazy!

Never a dull moment around here.

No comments: