Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day

I just found this post that was supposed to post and never did, so better late than never...

Here's what was written in my mother's day card from the princess.
(It was one that she worked on at school).

Dear Mom,

I love you.
Thank you for keeping me safe.
You are the best.

Princess

Of course it made me smile, but it also made me wonder. All the stuff I do and the thing she thinks of is that I keep her safe??? Not, thanks for making my breakfast, or thanks for playing Hungry Hippo, or thanks for taking me to dance, but thank you for keeping me safe.

One one side it's great that she feels she is safe with me. But, does that mean she doesn't feel safe in other circumstances? Yes, the princess is pretty timid when it comes to trying anything that might be slightly dangerous, and yes she is very cautious about anything new. After the fire fighters visited school last week she worried that our house would burn down. The bees are out and now she worries that she will get stung.

I know how to teach a lot of things, but I'm not sure I know how to teach courage.

No comments: