I know most parents hit this milestone when their children are 5 or 6 or if you have one of those overachievers when they are 4, but we are celebrating today!! After YEARS of cajoling, bribing, begging,and feeling like we had missed out on some major parenting technique she has learned to ride her bike.
She's not ready to take off for a mile ride yet, but she can leave our driveway and ride down the road and back. After year's of yelling at me to HOLD ON with a panicked intensity, Saturday she yelled at me DON'T TOUCH ME. I was laughing so hard I almost ran into her, which would have been disastrous!!
It's hard to describe the feelings of chasing your child down the street knowing that they have just conquered probably their greatest fear and being scared spitless yourself that they are going to go flying off and come up with the worse case of road rash you've ever seen. Saturday as I was seriously sprinting to keep up beside her I momentarily wondered why it was that I wanted her to do this so bad.
But you see the grin in the picture? (I know you have to squint really hard.)
That's why.
Because this was something as parents we knew she would enjoy if she could just realize the potential. And yes, I'm sure there will be some skin lost at some point, but she's now realized that she can conquer her fears instead of having them conquer her.

No comments:
Post a Comment