Thursday, September 6, 2012

Really, I'm only 9!

The least favorite part of every school day for the princess comes in her final 15 minutes.  It's when she climbs onto the big yellow (who are we kidding they are all orange now) bus and rides home.  She would much rather wait in the car line with her buddy Aubrey, but for right now Little Man's need for a nap trumps her need to socialize for an extra 5 minutes.  When it comes to bus riding she actually has it very good because she is home faster than I could actually get her here if I did pick her up.

Last year she had an assigned seat on her bus.  She was assigned to sit with a then Kindergartner named Leland. They became very good buddies during there 170 or so rides together.  He would occasionally give her special little "treats" that she would bring home and put in her pile of important stuff on her desk.  My favorite were the pictures that he would color for her.

So, it was no surprise when she told me last night that she had another Kindergartner that was mesmerized with her.  She had a substitute bus driver the last few days and found herself sitting in a seat with TWO little boys.  One of them (he is still nameless because I'm pretty sure she didn't bother to ask his name, as is her PE teacher, who she swears hasn't introduced himself yet) asked how old she was.  Apparently he was not satisfied by her response of 9 years.  He was pretty convinced that she was 18.  As she was relaying the story to me she could not comprehend why somebody would think she was 18 years old.  I tried to explain small boy adoration to her, but I failed at it miserably.  As she was again telling her Daddy about the boy on the bus she concluded that she really didn't want to be 18.....she just wanted her own phone.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that little boys on the bus enjoy her company, I just have to look at Little Man to see that she is easily adored.  I'm very thankful that she is telling me stories of Kindergartners who are paying attention to her instead of the 5th grade boys.

No comments: