Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas 2012

The princess has been very excited about Christmas this year.  She has enjoyed talking about Santa with Little Man and getting him super excited also.  Most of our celebrating has been low key, but I think both our kids have had lots of fun.  

We started our Christmas celebration with the traditional Christmas Eve Eve barbeque at my Grandmother's house.  Thankfully my grandmother arrived home from the hospital/assisted living two days before our celebration.  Sarah and I went over and decorated the house for Christmas and this was the first year in several that we put up the mantle stockings.  Sarah was her usual amazing self and made the SIX stockings we were missing in less than an hour!  Apparently (Bekah) we've added a lot of family in the last 4 years!  I got to sit with my grandmother and watch her count all the stockings and marvel at the 27 people she called family! 


I think that we have finally found a Christmas Eve tradition that suits our little family well.  The kids and I head to the Christmas Eve service at church and visit Doug and then we head home to order pizza and have a picnic in the living room while we watch a Christmas movie.  This year we watched Beethoven's Christmas.  Then the kids wait not so patiently for Daddy to get home from work so they can open their Christmas Eve present.  The princess has figured out it's the same gift every year, but that doesn't seem to dampen her enthusiasm. 


Then we settle down for the night in the living room by the Christmas tree to wait for Santa to arrive.  This was the first year Little Man joined us and amazingly both kids were asleep within 5 minutes of settling down.


 The princess woke up around 4 a.m. and was ready to check out what was under the tree.  She never did go back to sleep, but she did let me sleep off and on until I finally gave in around 5:30 and let her watch tv so the rest of us could get a little more sleep.

A little sand art from Aunt Melba
 And a cute scarf made by Aunt Melba
 Signs that your child is growing up is when they aren't asking for Polly Pockets anymore, but games for the DS instead!
 She had this set put together ON HER OWN by the evening.  

 I think the princess would tell you that Christmas is by far her favorite holiday!





No comments: