This is one post that I wish I had lots of pictures to share, but unfortunately words are going to have to suffice this time. We began to talk probably 6 months ago of doing some type of carnival in our yard for the princesses 10th birthday. Eventually the plan evolved into a movie night. One of the perks of being the video guy is that pulling off an outdoor movie is actually pretty easy. And Doug has a volunteer from work that works for one of those companies that sells the popcorn machines, sno-cone machines, and cotton candy machines you find at carnivals and such! We decided to actually put off the party until about a month after her birthday in hopes of having some really good spring weather.
Well, the weather did everything but cooperate and the night of the movie we had tornado warnings and severe thunderstorms! So, we had to move the movie to the following day and temps were less than springy! It also meant our attendance was down and our volunteer photographer was one of the folks who couldn't make it. But, it was still a ton of fun. I'm pretty sure it is a party the princess will not soon forget.
We set up at big inflatable screen beside the garage and let folks spread out all over the yard. The garage was turned into a vending area with all the snacks. Aunt Sarah was the sno-cone queen and Ms. Emily was our popcorn chef. (After I let her near the machine she tells me the last time she made popcorn there was a small burning issue!)
We requested that folks didn't bring presents, but instead bring a summer toy that could be donated to Children Home Society. We collected all sorts of fun stuff like chalk, bubbles, water guns, jump ropes, and lots of kids books. It was really neat to see all this stuff come in from her friends. This past week we were able to take all the stuff over to CHS and deliver it to some very grateful folks. The toys will be used at the Family Picnic next weekend which is a time for all the kids in foster care in our area to come together and enjoy being loved on while they wait for their forever families. I'm supposed to get some pictures from the event so hopefully I will have some to add at some point.
I have a feeling this will not be our last movie on the lawn!
No comments:
Post a Comment