I don't really remember learning to read. I have these vague memories of a phonics chart in the corner of the classroom in Mrs. Brown's class and making all these weird sounds that correlated with the chart, but I don't remember that moment when I finally realized that those sounds went together to form words. Today I saw that moment. The princess has been reluctant to do anything to learn to read. I'm not really sure why, but I'd like to think it's because she doesn't want me to stop reading to her. But I'm afraid that it can be attributed more to laziness. She's all ready figured out that if somebody else will do it for me, why should I! Today she declared that the time had come for her to learn to read. I've been holding onto to simple readers waiting for the right moment. I pulled one out today and BAM by the time the afternoon was over she had figured out how to read the 3 words in the book. Mat. Sam. Sat. She's all ready begging for Book 2, but I'm holding off to make sure this really sticks. But even if it doesn't, she is soooo proud of herself. And I love that.
No comments:
Post a Comment