Friday, December 28, 2007

Texas Idiot

Last night there was nothing noteworthy on tv so my husband and I were watching the ASU-Texas bowl game. ASU was getting their butts kicked and it was a pretty boring game until....the Texas idiot. If you don't know football most of this post will be in another language, but it's still worth reading. The ASU quarterback attempted a very poor backwards lateral that became a live ball bouncing down the field with 200 lb. men chasing after it. They batted the ball around until finally a Texas man staked his claim on the ball and ran it back deep into ASU territory. So, the boring game continues, or so we thought. Apparently while the ball was doing its live dance down the sideline a very brilliant Texas coach stepped onto the field and touched the ball. A huge no-no. This of course meant that the play had to be reviewed and digested thoroughly be the commentators. My husband and I did plenty of our own digesting and commenting. And I was very clear that this was about the dumbest thing a coach could do. While we are watching all the replays and discussing at great length what had just happened the princess was calling for me from her bed where she was supposed to be asleep. I ignored her for a while, but she was getting pretty persistent so I finally walked back and asked what she needed.

"Mommy, you're not supposed to use the word dumb."

I try so hard to watch what I say and even what I'm doing when her fine-tuned ears and eyes are watching, but she has proven to me once again that I must also watch my words even when I think she's not. A lot like our Christian lives. We can't say and do one thing when others are watching and say and do another when we think no on is. Somebody is always watching and listening. My life needs to mimic what I believe 24/7!

No comments: