Friday, April 18, 2008

Kindergarten Readiness

This has been the week to tackle kindergarten. On Monday we went to the doctor and got our two shots. Of course we screamed murder, but thankfully it was short-lived. And I felt even better because there was another kid who was screaming their head off too. Seeing as how we don't see a pediatrician it is rare that there is another small child making such a disturbance.

After that we had a "girl-shopping" day. I am now convinced that shopping is something that must be in your DNA. I don't know how my girl learned it, but she loves to shop. I'm the one begging to leave the stores, not her. We went to Kohl's and she got to pick out new hairbands which made the shots a little more bearable.

Then we marched into the elementary school and handed over our folder of stuff. The princess didn't really care one bit about where the kindergarten rooms were, she just wanted to check out the cafeteria. Her grandmommy had all ready given her a tour of it on an earlier visit, but she wanted to see it again. She was picking out which seat she was going to use until I busted that bubble and told her that her teacher would determine that!

And then to cap off the week we had a year end parent/teacher conference with her current teacher. They do a series of "games" with the kids to determine how many upper case and lower case letters they recognize, how many numbers, shapes, colors, etc. Apparently the princess felt that if she had to play the "games" than so must the teacher. So, after her testing was complete she took at blank piece of paper and proceeded to test Ms. Donna's knowledge of shapes and colors. The teacher said that this was a first in her 12 years of teaching!! I'm not sure if the princess was after fair-play or just wanted to take control of the situation!

The best line of the week comes from her testing. After she had completed looking at the shapes, she looked at Ms. Donna and asked, "But, where is the octagon!" Another first for Ms. Donna.

No comments: