Saturday, October 18, 2008

Kindergarten Lessons II

I've known even before we had children that we would not be homeschooling. NOT because I think it is wrong, I just knew it wasn't the right thing for me. And today my feelings were confirmed. I'm a former PE teacher. I've done nothing but play since I was 10. I started playing soccer in Wheaton where we lived while my Dad went to college. And I've never really stopped playing. I don't play competitively anymore, but I still kick the ball around plenty. And as I grew up I added other sports...basketball, soccer, tennis, etc. And then when I went to college I decided to make playing a full time job. I spent 10 years teaching/coaching full time until the princess was born. So, when I play, I tend to play hard and play competitively. My daughter on the other hand plays daintily and with no regards for who wins.

We go the playground on a regular basis and I've spent lots of trips "teaching" the princess to travel across the monkey bars. She would usually just become frustrated with me and move on to the slide. Today Doug took her to the park and came back with this footage. All spontaneous. No help. All alone.















Even if she learns nothing else for the rest of the year I'd say kindergarten was a success. Thanks Coach Simmons.

No comments: