Saturday, October 4, 2008

How hard can it be?

Apparently far harder than I realized. What is so hard you ask?

Finding a bathroom when you absolutely need one.

The princess went to play at some friend's house today. While they were down the street at the playground she realized that she needed to pee. Being the cool chic she is Mrs. Amy asked if Mom had taught her how to pee outside and of course Mom had so the princess went at it. One minor problem. I think she forgot the squat. Since I wasn't there I have to go by her story, but I know the shorts got pulled down, but somehow they also got soaked in pee along with her socks and shoes. And of course her buddy is a full foot taller so poor Mrs. Amy had to climb up into the attic to find some clothes to bring my child home in. She doesn't realize that I've driven across town with a naked kid before...

So, Mrs. Amy and I meet up at a McD's to do a child swap and of course the princess has to use the bathroom. Perfect, we are at a fast food restaurant. That should mean a bathroom is readily available. But before we could get in the door a TOUR bus drops off 45 women over the age of 60. Anybody want to guess where they were headed? Yep, the line to the restroom in 30 people deep now and we've got to go BAD. So, I pick up the princess and haul it across the parking lot to the bookstore. It was a Borders, but in my mind it was a Barnes and Nobles. No, big deal except that the bathrooms in Borders are in the front and the bathrooms in Barnes and Nobles are in the back. So after a tour of the entire store I see the restroom sign and am relieved that so far there is no urine running down my hip where she is sitting. As we turn the corner I realize that the women from the McD's have noted my brilliance and have followed me to the bookstore. Only problem they were smart enough to read signs and find the restroom. So, here we are again with another line. Often having a small child doing a dance at the bathroom door is enough to get pushed to the front of the line, but I don't think that works on a group of elderly women. Thankfully we managed to make it without having our 2nd accident of the day, but man I'm so looking forward to the day that I no longer have to chase down bathrooms.

Wait, I'll probably have to chase them down for me by that time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A funny story but I take exception to the designation of "elderly" for women who are sixty and over.