Friday, September 4, 2009

The Day Tinkerbell Took Flight

I consider myself a SAHM who works. Meaning I'm here when my daughter leaves for school and I'm home when the bus rolls up, but in between I'm in the office doing the work of a trained gorilla. Mostly my job is very predictable and I have no problems walking out in time to slide home before the big yellow monster comes down our street. (It takes the driver about an 18 point turn to get off our street after dropping the princess!!) Occasionally I've cut it close and had to sprint the length of the street so the driver would open the doors and let the princess off, but I've NEVER NOT been here.

At some point over the summer Doug and the princess were running errands that included a stop at Lowe's. The hardware store, not the food store. As she is capable of doing the princess can find something that she needs (wants) in just about any store. She batted those brown eyes just enough and came home with a new house key that was made on a Tinkerbell mold. Doug taught her how to use it and when she started school this year we put it in her backpack, JUST IN CASE Mom didn't make it home one day. Yeah right, like that's going to happen.

This past week I had an appointment that fell just as school let out so I called in backup to meet the bus. Grandmommy. Only, apparently, I forgot to tell grandmommy that Ms. Jeri does driveway delivery now instead of dropping her off down the street like last year. From last year's stop you can't see the bus come down our street so she had no idea that the princess had been delivered safe and sound to our house. Upon finding no one waiting for her the princess took out her trusty Tinkerbell started unlocking the door and then decided that the big empty house was scary. So, she tucked Tinkerbell back in her bag and did the only thing that made sense. She got on the back deck surrounded by her 3 dogs and hung out until grandmommy (probably in mild panic) figured out that she was already home!!




Hard to believe that my little girl is big enough to handle herself when Mom gets forgetful.

No comments: