Saturday, January 23, 2010

Gym Rat

It's no secret that I like sports. Sports of any kind, I'm not real picky. Well, except I struggle to WATCH golf and PLAY volleyball, but pretty much everything else I'm willing to tackle.

In fact my favorite places are either AT the gym working out or IN the gym playing. I spent 10 years running around in gyms before the princess was born and after the princess was born I had these grand visions that she would share my love for playing. I should have been more specific in those visions!

She does love to play. That is she loves to play with her princesses and Polly Pockets. Or she likes to pretend that she is a teacher with a very unruly class. And she's more than happy to be chased around the yard, but when it comes to actually playing an organized sport, she loves game days, but isn't really interested in playing on the side.

Until now.

I'm still shocked at her decision to play basketball. She starts talking about her Friday practice on Monday and is talking game play by Wednesday. When the weather allows we practice in the driveway on the hoop that Daddy kindly lowered. We practice bounce passes in the kitchen.

Then there was today.

For the first time I saw a little piece of my vision come to light. I've begun refereeing games in her league. Today I spent 3 hours calling basketball games. The princesses spent the whole time with me. By choice. Not once asking when it would be time to go home. Not once complaining of being bored, hungry, or tired. Every time I looked over my shoulder she was there on the sideline mimicking my calls. If I back pedaled,she back pedaled. If I had to sprint on a fast break, I could sense her sprinting beside me down the court. During half-time and in between games she was on the court with me making me play defense while she tried to drive the basket. Or she was making me dribble around while she tried to steal the ball.

I don't know how long this will last, but I'm sure enjoying it now!

No comments: