Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Career Plans

Yesterday I had the chance to spend some time with the princess in hot dog heaven. And after all these years it still amazes me how much that girl can talk. She started as soon as we got out of the car and other than taking a few breaths to swallow a hot dog slathered in cheese and some mint chocolate chip ice cream she didn't stop. I wasn't the only one smiling at her constant stream of chatter. I caught the older father and son at the table next to us watching and smiling in either wonder of disbelief..not sure which one!

I ordered hot dogs while the princess picked out a booth and of course she picked out the one booth that only had seats on one side and faced the street. Right in front of our seats was a huge American flag. As I'm juggling hot dogs, chips, and drinks she informs me that before we can eat we have to say the pledge. And we have to do it with our hands over our hearts. And we have to do it standing up! Now, I am very patriotic. I love my country. My ASFAB scores were off the chart and I probably should have been a career military person, BUT there was no way I was going to stand in this glorified hot dog stand and say the pledge. That is until I see her standing and beginning to recite...I joined her from my butt.

Then she was off to the races with her conversation that went from places like who farted in school that day to her career aspirations. Apparently she plans on being a trainer at Sea World for dolphins, but never for killer whales. (Don't tell her about the tragedy there, somehow we've managed to keep that from her.) But she also wants to be an engineer because she wants to design a flying car. She wants to design the car so that she can get to Alabama to eat dinner with her cousins every once in a while. Being the realist I told her that it would be hard to do both of those. So, she decided that since Uncle James was already an engineer she would just use his expertise when she was 18 and have him make the flying car. Look out Uncle James she plans on beginning her designs when she turns 8!

I don't know what they put in those magic pink hot dogs, but they sure do make a girl talk. I hope that 10 years from now I can still use that hot dog magic to get my little girl to tell me all about her day. Farts and all.

No comments: