This past week has been a hard one in our house. But you have handled it with an amazing amount of grace and understanding. Even as I went flying out the door leaving you in the hands of people you'd only met a handful of times you took it like a champ, seeming to know it wasn't the time for questions. And even throughout the night as you battled the stomach bug, you knew something wasn't right, but you waited patiently until we felt it was time to tell you.
I'm not sure at this moment in time you fully grasp what it means to lose your grandmother. I think in many ways you still expect her to show up in the cafeteria on Tuesday to eat lunch with you. And honestly in some ways I do too.
The truth is you lost one of your biggest fans this week. Your grandmother loved you so very much and it tears my heart apart to know that you won't get to grow up with her. I can remember the moment I told your grandmother you were coming. I was sitting on the kitchen counter at her house and as soon as I said the word girl she did that little happy dance she does while clapping her hands. She loved you in that moment.
As time passes I know that your memories will fade because you have so much life in front of you, but I hope that you never forget how much she was a part of your life. You will never remember the years we spent walking with you everyday down to the school and talking about what kind of student you would be and what your strengths might be. But I hope you do remember how she read in your kindergarten class every Friday, how she loved to find cool dresses on sale and buy them for you to model for her. Or how she played school with you for hours at a time and was a very patient student in your classroom. I hope you'll remember the plays and your first encounter with The Wizard of Oz and the wicked witch of the west.
But even if these should fade I want you to know that your grandmother thought you were pretty awesome and loved being with you. You made her smile and that my little princess is all you really need to remember.
Love,
Mom
(Taken by the princess on her new camera on Christmas Day)
No comments:
Post a Comment