Thursday, February 14, 2008

Juice boxes

All right, I'll admit that I am slightly naive in the matters of how school parties and classroom functions really go because we have attended very few. Doug and I decided early on that the princess would stay at home with Mom and not attend traditional pre-school. (This does NOT mean that I am homeschooling, don't worry, she is off to the big bad world of public school in August.)

*** Just a soapbox moment. I read in another women's blog that she had errands to run that day so she HAD to take her child to school even though it wasn't his normal pre-school day! Hello, since when have they banned children in the stores. Last time I looked the stores start salivating when a small child enters their doors b/c those small hands and small eyes want everything. If you can't run errands with a pre-schooler in tow I wonder how you manage to cook dinner and do laundry with them in the same house. *********

We did enroll her in a program of sorts that runs a full pre-school, but she goes only one day a week. She's been doing this since she was 18 months old. But only going one day a week means you miss most of the traditional classroom celebrations. But this year we landed on Valentine's Day. My job was to provide the juice boxes. How hard could that be? Well, just like a winter storm grocery rush I learned last night that you can't wait until 9:00 the night before and expect to find any decent juice boxes still on the shelf. And once I finally did secure the 20 I needed and headed for check out line I realized I wasn't the only incompetent parent in the store. Right in front of me in line was another women arms full of juice boxes.

I can only imagine how many more lessons I have to learn in the years to come!

No comments: