Sunday, February 8, 2009

Boyfriends and Marriage

It's going to be hard to explain the segway in conversations that got us to the point where we had this conversation today, but I will attempt it. Yesterday the princess worked her butt off because we had promised to purchase a toy she had been wanting after she picked up 1800 gumballs from our yard. (a penny a ball). I really thought this was a chore that would take her days to do, but she knocked the whole thing out in about 5 hours!! Daddy took her and trekked to two Wal-marts to find this "fashion puppy" she had been wanting. Mission accomplished she came home with Tutu. So, today on the way to church we are talking about her upcoming birthday and the possible party.

Princess: I want to invite Nick.
Mom: "Why Nick?"
Princess: "Because he sits at my table."
Mom: "So does Dillon."
Princess: "Not Dillon, he might fall in love with Tutu."
Mom: "And why might he fall in love with Tutu?"
Princess: "Because he loves cute things."
Mom: "How do you know he loves cute things?"

At this point I'm so glad I'm driving a car and can't really look at here because I might just bust out laughing.

Princess: "He says I'm cute and he loves me." (Mom now hyperventilating)
Princess: "He asked me to be his boyfriend, but I told him NO!) (Mom no longer hyperventilating)
Princess: "I told Nick yes."
Mom: "You told Nick yes to what?" (Anybody seen my inhaler?)
Princess: "I told Nick I'd be his girlfriend."

A this point I'm doing a quick mental evaluation and deciding if I really want to ask what it means to be a girlfriend when I'm 30 seconds from church. But she didn't give me a chance.

Princess: "But, I'm going to marry Cody. Well, that is if Cody wants to, cuz the boy gets to decide. Mom, why does the boy get to decide?"

Mom: "Well really you both decide, but the boy gets to do the asking. Trust me you'll want the boy to do the asking."

And with that we pulled into the parking lot and a slightly shaken Mom got out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, Maddie has a bf and u dint tell me??????????