Sunday, June 28, 2009

Looks

As I've said before we don't keep it a secret that our daughter is adopted. From her or from anybody else. We don't carry billboards announcing it, but when it becomes necessary and appropriate we share a little about how she came into our lives. Even though we have been very upfront with the princess and she has always been able to tell you that she is adopted it's just now starting to form in her as a concrete idea.

Today at church we were playing with the very cute baby of our worship leader and I commented to the princess how much the baby looked like her Mom. Her reply was to ask me if she looked like me...







The truth is not so much. We can't even pretend that she looks like me. Dark hair, dark eyes, pale skin, long legs...need I go on. So, today we talked again about how she ended up in our home instead of the home with a woman that she closely resembles. Today was the first day I heard the "why?" question, telling me that the princess is finally beginning to process that her adoption wasn't absolutely necessary, but was instead a choice. Obviously she mulled it over for a while because the why didn't pop up until sometime after the conversation had ended. But, just in case I needed some reassurance as to who she recognizes as Mom,

"Well, I'm glad she picked you to be my Mommy instead because I like you!"

No comments: