Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Always There

As the princess and I were leaving church on Sunday night we walked out with several of the older folks who had just left their evening service. As usual they were enamored by the young child who was tapping her way out of the building. We were several feet out in front of the group when one of them asked...

"Where does she get that dark hair?"

I gave the honest answer. From her mother. But I didn't stop to clarify. The person who had asked the question in the background began talking about how she changes her hair color too and I just let it slide. But I did look down at my daughter who was snuggled up against me and said, "Right?"

"Yep, from the mom whose tummy I grew in."

I love that she knows the truth of her beginnings, but I hate that more often than I like we have to explain them. Because quite honestly in between those times when folks bring it up it's not something that we think on.

There is much I've learned from this journey called adoption and one of those things is that there are a lot of questions that are often better off unasked!

No comments: