Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Crush

In a small unsure voice the words were spoken.

"Mom, I think I have a crush on Terry." (Picture our sweet child standing with her head buried in her pillow as these words are spoken. Reminded me of a friend who once buried her head in my couch when she admitted she might like a certain man.)

As the princess laid these words out I was in the chaotic midst of trying to get her off the bus and changed for ballet class all in 7 minutes. So, I slammed on the brakes with a gentle....

"YOU WHAT?"

Princess: "I think I have a crush on Terry."

Me: "And exactly what is a crush?"

Princess: "It means I love him."

Me: "Hello, are you insane, you are only six years old, there is no way you can have a crush on anybody and who taught you what a crush was anyway."

Oh wait, I just thought all that.

Me: "Like you love Mom and Dad and Little Man"

Princess: "NOOOOOOO, it means I like him a lot."

Me: "Where did you learn about what a crush is?"

Princess: "From the old time school lady. She said if the boys had a crush they put the girl's pigtails in the ink"

Oh my lands, my child has learned what a crush is from a completely innocent EDUCATIONAL experience!!

And this Terry guy...he's a good ole boy for sure

No comments: