Tuesday, December 22, 2009

No Shoes

I've really begun to realize how black and white our daughter's world is. There is very little grey room in her mind. You either do things right or you do things wrong. And she thrives on rules. I think in some weird way they make her comfortable. She's not one of those kids who thinks, "How can I get around the rules?" Instead she thinks, "Who can I catch breaking the rules?"

Tonight, without any intentions, we created a little grey. We acted like it was a night like any other. Took a shower, got on the pj's, brushed teeth, and then announced that instead of going to bed we were going out!! (Rule break#1)

Immediately..."Do I have to wear shoes?"

Nope. No shoes. (Rule break #2)

All four of us piled in the car, two in pjs, two still dressed and headed out to look at the Christmas lights. There is one particular road in our town that hangs the Christmas balls from very tall trees and folks creep down the road to enjoy the view. We opened up the moon roof letting in the 34 degree breeze to enjoy the sights. (Rule Break #3)

Then we let the princess climb into the front seat (Rule Break #4) and ride in my lap so she had a better view of what was going on. At this point she starts talking(actually she's talked non-stop to this point) about how this is the best night ever!!

So, maybe there is some hope for my black and white girl to enjoy the grey moments!

(I won't tell you about Rule Break #5, but it involved some "subtle" lane changes!)

No comments: