Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jaded Envy

The princess is learning to read these days. Other than reading to her myself I'm not doing a whole lot to "teach" reading it's just kinda happening. She's mastered most of the two letter words and quite a few three letter words, but I thought that was it, until today.

In our house right now WebKinz are king. If you have no idea what they are it means you've had no contact with a small child in the last few years! Basically you buy a stuffed animal and then enter a code on the website and you get to "play" with your animal online. You get to dress them, feed them, put them on the toilet, etc. Usually I sit at the computer with the princess in my lap so we can take care of her 7 (yes, seven!!!) pets. Today I was in my position, but slightly distracted by making our beach trip list (YAY!!!!) when I heard,

"Mom, do we need the jaded envy gem?"

"Huh"

"Jaded envy?"

I look up at the screen to see a picture of the gem with the words "jaded envy" below. So of course I ask..."How did you know what it says?" (I thought she had memorized the picture.)

"Because I can read Mommy" (Dripping with pre-adolescent disdain)

So, I wrote a bunch of random words down and had her read them. She was right. She can read! I have no idea how she has figured all these words out, but jaded envy is now part of her reading vocabulary.

I can't wait until she asks me what it means.

No comments: