Monday, August 24, 2009

Let Go

As we crossed the parking lot tonight headed into Open House I reached for the princess's hand. Just an instinct. Busy parking lot, lots of strangers, reach for your kid's hand kinda moment. Then I noticed. She was working her fingers out. She wanted nothing to do with holding my hand. She needed in that moment to be independent and I needed in that moment to hold on for dear life.

So, I let go.

We went through the Open House routine...checking on bus route, signing up for PTA, filling out paperwork, checking out the desk (no more group table...a real honest to goodness desk!) with her Math and Science books already sitting there with her name boldly written on the corner, and then it was time to meet the teacher. We stood in line looking over the job helper door (by far the most important aspect of any week) and then I heard it,

"Mom, will you hold my hand?"

I of course was happy to oblige, but then it was our turn to meet the person who will have the most direct influence over her life for the next 10 months. She wanted to hold on for dear life, but I need her to be independent.

So, I let go.

No comments: