As I sit here on the eve of another open house it seems so long ago that all three of us traipsed a bit nervously into a new school with new faces. Yet at the same time it went by so fast. When we hit the front doors we were met with that typical musty smell mixed with the old cafeteria odors. We headed to the kindergarten hall to scan the class list only to find that the princesses name was left off the list! Talk about an ominous start. Thankfully we looked lost enough that one of the teacher assistants took pity on us and found a home for us. Little did we know where we had landed!
I can still remember looking at the spot on the table with my daughter's name and her little pile of papers and wondering how in the world I was going to be able to actually send her off to this COMPLETE stranger's classroom. It was in that moment that I briefly wondered why I had never considered homeschooling.
Long story short...We had an awesome year! It took us a while to figure it out, but we could not have asked for a better classroom experience.
But, as we sit on the eve of yet another Open House it kinda feels like kindergarten all over again. There are so many unknowns. Sure, I know the names of all the 1st grade teachers and I know names of many of the kids she will be hanging with. I even know where the 1st grade hall is!! There's still that whole element of losing control for 7+ hours a day!! It's hard to trust that someone else really has the princesses best interest in mind. Alas we have no choice!
The good news is that the princess is MORE than ready for that first day. I'm sure we will have a few first day pics to share on Tuesday!
No comments:
Post a Comment