Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Eyes

Today we took advantage of the unbelievably cool day to visit the zoo. There isn't much to say about the trip itself because the baboons were off exhibit and if you can't spend time watching a dozen red butt animals chase each other around there isn't much else to do. There was one bright moment when an elephant took a dunk in the small pond in the habitat.

As usual it was the conversation that I want to remember. While we were waiting for the tram to come I casually mentioned to a friend that in a picture I had recently seen she looked a lot like her Mom. Almost immediately the princess asked if she looked like me. I could see in her eyes that she already knew the answer to the question. So, why does she keep asking?

We went through our normal conversation where she tells me that she got her brown eyes from her first mom. Today for some reason it hit me all different though. I wondered, did they really come from Mom or Dad. And when is she going to really realize that not only am I not her first Mom, but Doug is not her first Dad. She never asks if she looks like her Dad so I'm beginning to think that she doesn't realize there is another Dad out there.

So, I went the only place I can for a few answers. I pulled out the family history. Sure enough the brown eyes are from Mom. Dad's eyes are blue! What I wouldn't give for a picture that she could actually look at.

No comments: